Question Find the total number of members who have made at least one booking.
Answers and Discussion Show
select count(distinct memid) from cd.bookings
Your first instinct may be to go for a subquery here. Something like the below:
select count(*) from
(select distinct memid from cd.bookings) as mems
This does work perfectly well, but we can simplify a touch with the help of a little extra knowledge in the form of COUNT DISTINCT. This does what you might expect, counting the distinct values in the passed column.
Take a look at COUNT DISTINCT
- Alt-h: Show/Hide Help menu
- Alt-r: Run query
- Alt-x: Run selected text as query
- Alt-s: Run query by cursor (delimited by whitespace/semi-colon)
- You can double click on each of the panes of Expected Result/Your answer to quickly resize them.
- If you have trouble remembering the database schema, you can leave this popup open while you work on your answer.
- Don't forget to use the hint button if you're stuck!